Saturday, September 21, 2013

A New Journey Begins

      There have been so many changes in my life in the past few months it's hard to even know where to begin.  I made the choice to resign from my job as a reading teacher in Florida and return to teaching in California.  Talk about a big move!!!  After 6 years of teaching strictly reading, I am once again a 6th grade self-contained teacher. Even though I have been an educator for 18 years, I feel like a first year teacher all over again.   I find myself spending long hours searching for resources to use in my classroom,  hours of lesson planning, and trying to create a structure in my classroom that works.   I think managing a self-contained class is a lot more difficult than managing a group of kids you only see for 90 minutes.  I am not used to having the same kids all day anymore and boy is it a challenge to keep 28 kids, engaged and on task all day long. 
      My sixth grade class is at an elementary school so that means I am responsible for teaching all subjects including P.E.  Some days I wonder what I got myself into, but I know in the end I will find a way to put all the pieces together and create a classroom environment that works.  Until then it's late nights and early mornings putting together what I need to make it through the day.  It gets easier with each week that passes.  Hopefully, by the time May rolls around I will look back on the year fondly and wonder how it went by so quick.   I am so grateful that there are other teachers out there willing to share their ideas and make life so much easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment